Thursday, April 19, 2012

Peace

Oh man, I've been stressed. It happens, same time, same place every damn semester.  The turmoil and upheaval in my mind from the millions of projects that need to be completed is overwhelming.

I went home yesterday to do a project of low-tech photography... I basically scanned a bunch of shit from various junk drawers around my Home (capital letter because it's the one and only- where the love of my mother resides). Forget the project, Home- sweet, sweet home. It's a healing place.  It gave me the much needed break my head needed. I mowed an acre of land (push-mower- no joke) just for the hell of it.  The vibrations of the mower and monotonous back and forth motion were what my mind and body needed. Monotony. Mindless. The last few days I had made so many lists, probably with hopes that the more lists, the more I would get done. No such luck. I mowed that lawn for two hours and let my mind go blank. My muscles ached and I'm pretty sure the mower weighed more than I do, but it worked. I needed to step away from the madness of all the projects and millions of things to be accomplished. It was time to realign 'my ducks'.

A few years back it came in the form of a rainbow.  It was perfect timing and the perfect sign that everything was going to be ok.  I'm sure I had been awake for more than 24 hours, and as I was driving home I called my momma crying (thank God she knows it's coming- like clockwork and knows what to do and say).  So overwhelmed and completely worn out. Everything I needed to do had magnified itself x20.  As I complained and cried about the millions of things to get done, it appeared. A sign, a peace of mind. The feeling that it's just you and the Big Guy- I knew he was focused on me and had sent it just for me. My head cleared and it all came together, a thousand weights had been lifted.

Sometimes all it takes is a little time away or a sign from above- whether it is the place that a simple and sophisticated rainbow takes you, or the daunting yet beautifully monotonous task of mowing the lawn. It works. Give thanks!

I've got my ducks back in a row and I'm feelin' groovy babies. Happy days ahead!


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad monotony and mindless worked for you! It's so important to let ourselves do that once in awhile! So glad your ducks are back on track! And I bet you mama is happy that you engaged in that back and forth motion on her lawn!!!
    xoxo A Julie

    ReplyDelete