Friday, August 15, 2014

As the Water Rose

**The following views and opinions are mine and only mine, and based upon my observations of the recent, unfortunate events.  Written on 8-13-14.

Along with thousands of other residents in the Metro Detroit area, our basement flooded on Monday evening.  Now this has happened to us (personally) in the past- no more than a few inches, but each time even more annoying than the last.  We learned to keep things off the ground a few inches and in plastic bins.  Already having lost a few valuables the first time around we made sure to be careful of what we put in our basement.  This time, it didn't matter.  The water just kept rising.  16 inches deep before it started to recede.  It's a helpless feeling when all you can do is watch as it climbs the steps, inch by inch, hoping it doesn't go much higher.  The things we lost were insignificant compared to what others lost- especially those who had finished basements.  If anything it was the push we needed to throw everything away (there is my silver lining).  Through all of this, I managed to succeed in keeping a light heart.  It wouldn't have done any good to cry or get upset, so I chose to laugh.

See here's the thing about unfortunate events like this... nature is in complete control.  All we can do is wait and clean and try to salvage what we can.  There really is no point in getting angry- yes it's a pain, gross, inconvenient, and costly.  I've heard a lot of people saying (via social media) "we lost everything".  I think there is something to be said here.  Everything is a lot of stuff, and chances are you are saying/typing that from your kitchen table, or living room couch with your roof still over your head... So you may have lost things, but it is likely that you still have more than you lost.  To those who really did lose everything- I'm so sorry you have been given the worst of the worst to deal with.

I don't mean to preach or seem insensitive to the situation; as I was very much affected by these floods.  I have learned that in tough and uncontrollable situations, it is much easier to get through them when you look at the positive and what you still have instead of focusing on the negative.  Because what's done, is done.

With that being said, we gotta stick together and keep our chins up!

------------------

I have been trying to write this blog post for a few days now, I wanted to really reflect.  As you can see I have left my initial thoughts above because I still find them important.  However, the initial shock has worn off for many and I believe that the fog is lifting.  I've been thinking really hard about the recent flooding and how we were affected, along with the many others facing the same situation.  I am trying to find a way to write my views that doesn't seem insensitive.  But here is the way I see it:

We all have so much more than the things we lost.

When I find myself in tough situations, I always think of the "at leasts".  

At Least:

I didn't have a finished basement and my loss wasn't that severe.  What can I do to help those who lost so much more?  How can I help?

I was given the push we had been needing to clean the basement! Thanks, Mother Nature.

We still have two whole floors of solid structure over our heads that are filled with an abundance of amenities.

All we lost were the washer and dryer.  Let the laundromat adventures begin!

We have each other.

***

I know it is hard to lose pictures and special items that were being saved for the future.  But those are just things... The memories lie within.  I have been thinking about how most of those things were sitting in a box, never being looked at- the memories don't come from the things.  Memories are with us and held in the stories told with others and the people whom the pastime was shared.

My memories are better preserved through stories and writing them down, not through things taking up space.

***

And on a lighter note-  There were a few items we needed to save that got wet in the flood.  Mostly sheets and a few shirts.  When I discovered that the washing machine didn't work, I felt a sense of panic and urgency (if only for a moment).  The only time I have ever been to a laundromat was when I was little and with my parents- on vacation.  It was already 7pm so there really was no time to go.  I decided to rinse everything in Izzy's kiddie pool and rewash it later.  So here I am standing in the backyard with the handle from my Swiffer, churning and swishing sheets and shirts in the bright blue pool with happy little sea creatures staring back at me (probably mocking me).  Hosing them off and wringing them out.  I felt like a regular chamber maid, minus the bonnet and apron.  Never a dull moment...

I hope I never come back in another life as a washing machine....

Humans have and are enduring much worse than the flood we experienced this week.  We are all going to come through on top and in much better condition that before.  Stay strong.

3 comments:

  1. A great blog, Sara! Love your insights and compassion. Reminds me of a saying I heard the other day: "they were so poor, all they had was money". Kinda puts it in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog post through a friend of mine, and I'm so glad I did.
    I was also affected by the flood, and the whole time I've had to keep looking at it from this same perspective! If I didn't, then I'd have been crying all the time at how overwhelming it was and still is to be cleaning up and starting over after such an awful event.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful perspective of something that most people see as a disaster, and good luck with your clean up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karin,

      I'm so glad you found this and were able to relate! It has been such an unfortunate time for everyone in the area. I recently drove through my neighborhood and am completely blown away by the devastation and clean-up efforts that still continue. I wish you all the best and hopefully this will all be behind us soon.

      Thanks for reading!

      -Sara

      Delete