Friday, September 9, 2011

10 years

10 years ago I was in the 7th grade, sitting in Choir class.  I was twelve and had no clue what the word "Retaliation" meant.  I remember that was all kids were saying, "We are going to retaliate, aren't we?" and "We have to retaliate!".  They wouldn't turn on the TV, but I remember parents rushing in to pick up their children and hurry home.  They cancelled school for the rest of day.  I remember going home and watching it over and over and over again on the television, it flooded the networks (kind of like an election- only way worse).  One plane after another, one attack after another.  10 years ago, I learned what a terrorist was.  

Today, I was in the right place at the right time.  As I listened to the radio on my way to work, I heard my favorite morning show talking about a memorial they were hosting right in Royal Oak this very morning; they were letting go a single balloon for every person that lost their life on September 11, 2001.  As I pulled up to the stop light at 13 mile and Coolidge highway (right where the park is that they were broadcasting from), I was fortunate enough to see 3,000 red, white, and blue balloons being released into the sky, in memory of those who were taken too soon.  I felt a rush of sadness and pride, and I couldn't contain the tears (partially why I don't have a picture to show you).  It's hard to believe that it has already been 10 years.  My heart goes out to the families and friends who lost dear ones on that horrible day.

But... We are so very lucky to live in the country we live in.  Despite it's downfalls and shortcomings (which we all have, as individuals or as a unit), we have so many opportunities and are so fortunate to have the freedom and equalities that we have.  There is no other Country that knows how to come together like we do.  And it's not retaliation- for the past 10 years we have been protecting what is rightfully ours.

To all the selfless men and women fighting for us- Thank You!

All 3,000 and those still fighting today, they will never be forgotten.  I sure am glad I was stopped at the stop light at 9:40am this morning.

Where were you 10 years ago on September 11th?

1 comment:

  1. I was teaching at Apollo School...Sad day indeed...however our country showed the world that we are one people who will pull together and act as "One Nation Under God" God bless all the lives lost on that day. And the familys of our lost heros.....

    ReplyDelete